Thursday, October 2, 2008

Davey, the Power Monger

Well, not everything about potty-training Davey has been problem-free. In the 2 months since he's been potty training, he has pretty much never told me he needed to go to the bathroom unless he really needed to go. No false alarms -- until last Wednesday. That morning he apparently woke up and decided that he wanted to sit on the toilet at every chance he could and then pop right up and say "Done!" immediately upon sitting down. So later in the morning after library story time and another false alarm, he came over saying pee-pee again. But he went right back to what he was doing, so I figured if he really needed to go he'd tell me again. Well, the next thing I heard from him was "pee-pee shoes." Apparently he really needed to go. I felt really bad about essentially making him have an accident. And I hadn't even brought any extra underwear since it had been so long since his last accident.

The boy who cried wolf didn't stop his antics then. The next morning I was in and out of the shower 3 times when he told me he needed to go poo-poo but didn't. Talk about annoying to get out of the shower dripping wet for nothing. Church on Sunday was no different. In and out of the bathroom the whole first hour. He must have actually gone 5 times, but we were in the stall many more than that. He doesn't seem to just like washing his hands, or leaving church (he asks to go back in, even when I try to wait until he actually goes), I can't believe he's all of a sudden forgotten what it feels like to need to go, the only thing I can figure is that he loves the feeling of power he has over me when I jump to his beck and call. Anyone have tips for me?

2 comments:

Sweating in the endless heat said...

First of all, he is SO dang cute! Second, he is just going through a stage, just say to him, (if you know that he just went) that he needs to hold it until he REALLY needs to go. It worked with my girls, but I am not familiar with boys and how they work, so if anyone else has any other suggestions, try them:) Good luck and remember he only has been doing this for a couple of months!

Melanie said...

Chuckle. ;)

The joy of potty training boys.

They get it . . . and then they lose it. They get preoccupied with toys or whatever, they get setbacks when things in their environment changes too quickly for them. I even had Jayden (who was potty trained for 2.5 years) start peeing on the floor again when I started training Jackson.

I guess you need to make sure he isn't rewarded for SITTING on the potty, but only for doing something. Maybe you could even have a reward system for days without false alarms?

But I agree with the previous poster. He was really quick at getting things down, now he needs to slow down again to get it down pat. Just try to be patient and bring lots of underwear and clothing where ever you go. Good luck~!

By the way, I love your new blog page! You are really getting into this!