Thursday, July 29, 2010

A Visit to Katy, TX

One of the highlights of our trip home was a trip to see our friends in Texas. Davey and I had been looking forward to it for a long time. We were graciously hosted by my friend and old neighbor, Mendy.

The flight from Cincinnati, though it was the shortest one we took all summer, seemed to take forever. It was strange. I guess when you expect something to go by quickly, it doesn't! The boys were occupied for a while by the flight safety instruction cards. They just love those things.

Figuring it all out

We arrived on a Saturday night so we were able to attend church and see so many of our friends. Davey just loved going Sunbeams with his old buddies. Charlie got a little teary in nursery but stayed the whole time. He was just old enough to go to nursery then so it was wonderful to get to attend Relief Society meeting.

Our first item of business Monday morning was a visit to our old pediatrician. Charlie was very late on his well-child check-ups since I was nervous to go to a doctor in Bahrain, especially about getting shots here. I had seen terrible infections on kids' arms (apparently they say its normal for whatever shot they give them - luckily that one isn't required for non-Bahrainis) and heard that the nurses are slow with the shots.

Also, Davey had had a bad cough for a while that we needed to get treated. And he ended up on a nebulizer treatment in the office. I was busy talking to the doctor about Charlie and looked over and Davey already had the machine going and these big, scared eyes. But he was a trooper and just sat there.

What is this thing, Mom?

While I was in Katy, I lined up our old babysitter to stay with Charlie at the house while he napped so I could go do things. The first day I made a huge shopping trip to Costco and Wal-Martof things to ship back to Bahrain. Mostly anti-bacterial wipes, Oatmeal Squares cereal and healthier on-the-go snacks for the kids that either just aren't available here or are way too expensive. Also included were vanilla extract, pecans and birthday party gifts (everything is so expensive here there are tons of bday parties to attend).

One of the afternoons we met up with our old friends, Fumie and Roberto. Davey had so much fun playing with Roberto.

Cute boys loving the heavy machinery

Our great friend, Amy, had a baby girl just a couple weeks before we went for a visit, so I really enjoyed getting to catch up with her and seeing her beautiful new baby. And Davey was in heaven playing with his buddy Lauren. They've always played so well together and he really missed her.

Sweet baby Julia

We also had the chance to attend our old playgroup and met up at the park and pools during the week. It was so nice that our friends made so much time for us. They were game for anything we wanted to do. We also had a girls' night out dinner at Lupe tortilla. Yum!

As if we didn't fit enough into the 5 days we were in Katy, we also had an early birthday party for Davey. We sent out the invite only 2 days before the party and everyone except one person came! It was so fun living in Katy because all of my friends had kids Davey's age so all of his friends' moms are my friends.

Kristin, Kim, Jamie, Amy and Alyssa

Fumie, Laetitia and Charlotte

It was crazy getting it all together so quickly and with rain all week, but it was really, really fun and the weather held out for us. We held it at the park and splash pad in our old neighborhood, Pine Mill Ranch.


The boys enjoying the water

Mackenzie had fun pal-ing around with Jace and Kai


Cool fountain

Avery and Lulu

Lauren and Jace

Roberto and Davey

Mendy was so nice to get the cake for him

Ready to sing and dig in!

Happy birthday to Davey!

Sammie, Avery, Lulu and Lauren
Davey's best buddies from Katy

Charlie enjoyed the cupcakes waaaay too much...

He grabbed two and dove in face-first.
Notice the sick, I-ate-too-much-sugar face.

Once we had the party and sang to him, Davey was sure that he was four years old. No matter how many times I told him that it was an early birthday party, he would not be convinced, with is defense being, "But I had a four candle!"

Now, months later, I've finally convinced him, but it is still a big enough deal to him that he loves to recount to adults he meets how, "when I had my birthday party in Katy, Texas, I thought I was four but I really wasn't." Along with telling them about how, "When I was in Ohio, I got mosquito bites."

The next morning we fit in a meetup with the Griffeths and Knies at Pump-it-Up and a quick visit with Dave's old boss Cliff's wife Betty and then it was off to the airport.


It was a wonderful whirlwind of a trip!

No comments: