Friday, May 8, 2009

What Should I Do?

I always sleep with earplugs in since I'm a very light sleeper. Last night I wish I hadn't though because maybe the monitor beeping that it needed to be plugged in would have woken me up. Normally I would never sleep through it. At 4 am I woke, not believing that Charlie had slept so long without waking. Wow! How great. But not really, the monitor was off and so I have no idea if he actually slept that long or screamed for an unknown amount of time and went back to sleep. I felt so bad not knowing and lay awake for about an hour thinking about my sweet little Charlie screaming.

But I do know that he should be old enough to start skipping his 1-2ish am feeding. So now that he's (maybe) cried it out one night, maybe it will only take one more to get him doing it (or at least the books say most kids take only 1 to 2 nights if you use that method - though I'm not sure it works in this family... Davey would cry and cry for weeks and then he'd sleep maybe 8 hours for a couple months and then have to cry it out all over again). I'm torn between feeling like it's cruel to have made him cry it out one night and not use it to mine and his advantage by using it as the first night of training him, but it also feels cruel to let him cry when he very hungrily takes that feeding. He lunges at me when I pick him up.

I'm sure everyone else will say now is the time to go ahead and skip the feeding, he's old enough anyway, but I hate letting/making my sweet little Charlie cry. He is such a good, sweet baby I don't begrudge him those middle of the night feedings...

3 comments:

Sweating in the endless heat said...

First of all, I love the new pictures on the side bar of Charlie...what a cutie! Anyway, wouldn't Dave have heard him??? If he was crying for any length of time, then I would've thought that someone without ear plugs would've been woken up. I would not feel so bad (I know easier said then done) but obviously no harm came of it and he is still a happy little guy who already has forgotten about it(that is if he did wake up) and still LOVES his mommy! You are an awesome mom and look at it this way...Heavenly Father knew you needed some extra rest:-)

Anonymous said...

I agree, wouldn't Dave have heard him or even Davey? If you don't want to let him cry it out then don't do it... it is not worth the worry and heartache for you. One day you will be ready for him to sleep through the night, and then it will be worth letting him cry it out. Cherish the time with your sweet baby now while he is still snuggly and breastfeeding.

Melanie said...

Hmm. I think 4 months is too young to refuse middle night feedings. If they don't want one, all the better: don't give it. But if he usually eats like a horse, then he probably does need it still.

At six months I start to wean my kids off that feeding . . . . IF they are still doing it by then. (Usually they aren't.)

If you will skip that feeding, make sure you know he is really hungry and eating a ton the feeding before so you don't have to feel too guilty.