So I'm way behind on everything in my life. I'm trying not to let that bug me too much, but I hate being in a dirty, messy house and feeling like I'm not in control...
I was so at my wit's end yesterday morning with the non-stop crying that I called Charlie's doc and made an appointment. My mom kept thinking there must be something wrong (my little sis Lacey was crying, crying and had a life-threatening staph infection as an infant), a baby his age should be settled and happy by now. I was finally convinced there could be something wrong. I kept taking his temperature and he didn't have a fever. But there had to be something causing all this -- or even if it was just normal, I needed someone to tell me that and to talk about it with me before I went crazy.
So of course the doctor examined him and didn't find anything wrong, but she did suggest a mild case of acid reflux. I had been wondering if he had it for a while now (and actually did bring it up at a previous appointment -- he doesn't spit up excessively, but he's always choking on the milk as it comes back up and it prompts crying), so I wasn't surprised. She also suggested doing a work up of his blood, but I decided not to have him pricked. We can always do that later if the Nexium doesn't help and there is still a problem. But now that I've had a day to think more clearly (Dave was actually home at 5pm yesterday and had the day off today :), I'm remembering having gone through a similar phase with Davey. My reaction to it was just worse this time since I'm busy with Davey and didn't have Dave around to spell me. Luckily Dave thinks he'll be back to normal work hours next week.
Charlie has been sleeping better today and after all of the negative emotions of yesterday, I was overcome with love for him today as he slept and looked so sweet and darling. I couldn't resist taking a couple pictures...
I love my boys so much even though I am finding this transition challenging; it has nothing to do with me loving being their mother and having them a part of our family.
I also have to share a funny picture of Davey. After I pumped to be able to add the reflux medicine to a bottle for Charlie, Davey grabbed it and tried to do the same...
He was so proud to be like mommy...
We didn't have to coax this smile at all!
3 comments:
I'm sorry things have been so rough lately! I know what you are going through. Transitioning from one to two was so hard for me . . . Jackson was not easy, at all! He would scream all day (and night) long. Never before did I understand how anyone would want to shake their baby . . . or leave them on a doorstep somewhere.
Having your spouse there is so important. Even if they don't take the baby, at least knowing someone is there that you need to answer to . . . just in case. ;)
Hang in there. It gets better. After about 2 months or so, Jackson was my best sleeper. He just wanted to know that I was there for him 24/7 for those first few months. And even though he was rough while awake, he slept well and it helped.
Good luck, and remember, I'm always a phone call away.
I wish I lived closer to come over and help you out. The newborn stage was SO hard on me. Ryken had Acid Reflux too. Have you tried the gas drops, that worked wonders for Ryken when his was a newborn.
Of course when I am reading this I am crying for who knows what reason, anyway it is good to know that most moms go through similar things and that we can lean on each other for support. Charlie sure is a little cutie, I am still waiting to see that belly button of his ;)
Post a Comment