Monday, January 26, 2009

It's Time

A great album by Michael Buble. But unfortunately that's not what I'm talking about here.

Darn it. It's time, I think. I've been thinking a lot lately about how and when I will potty train Davey for nap- and night-time. Luckily we were in the kitchen (i.e. not on carpet) today when Davey grabs himself and asks, "Davey go in diaper?" It took me a minute to figure out that he hadn't actually wet his pants yet and was for some reason asking my permission to do it. I'm quite sure he knew he wasn't wearing a diaper. The amazing thing was that somehow his pants didn't get wet at all. Underwear all wet, big puddle on the floor, but dry pants. 

This morning's incident is partly my fault. One of the stalling techniques Davey has tried to use in the past is to tell me he has to go to the bathroom after he is already in bed. After I wised up to his ploy, I started telling him to just go in his diaper. I knew that would backfire at some point and I guess we're at that point.

Anyway, I feel like this is prompting me to get him out of those diapers all together. The method I've heard a couple times is to stop giving the child liquid after dinner, have them go to the bathroom right before bed and then to wake them during the night once. Now might be a good time for me to do that since I'm having to be up in the night anyway... but I'm nervous that I'll have trouble getting him to go back to sleep. Anyone have experience/advice with this they can share?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am the worst parent ever on this... Ryken has been potty trained since shortly after he turned 2... he still wears a pull up to nap (he never wets in it during the nap) and bedtime. And I let him go to bed with a little bit of juice/water. I know I know... it is so bad! Let me know when you figure this one out... and I think Davey will go back to bed after going potty, if you are strict enough about it.

Melanie said...

I was pretty lucky that both boys trained night time at the same time as day.

I bet Davey is already trained and you just don't know it. Make sure you have protection on his bed, and just try a few nights with him not wearing a diaper. Leave the light on in the bathroom for him and see what happens. Maybe he is only going in his diaper early in the am (like Jayden did) BECAUSE he had a diaper on. Once that comes off, they know they need to run to the toilet.

Kelly P said...

Well, I've had varying experiences with nighttime training -- Michael has been trained since day 1, Peter also, but Joseph. . . I personally am into the no pressure version. He (Well, really, all of them) gets a special something - lately it's been a dinner out - after a certain number of dry nights. That's it. It's really working now though -- and how old is he? *sigh* Good luck though!

Us Lochers said...

I would just have him go before bed, and when he goes a week without wetting his diaper than try it without. I would try not to wake him in the night at all, or that may have to continue for years to come.