So Charlie and I were coming home after dropping Davey at school and I got off before him. He didn't get off right after me and I couldn't stop the doors from closing! What a nightmare! I'm just listening to him call for me... I tried to stay calm and watched the elevator go up to the 7th floor and stop. I frantically called the elevators (there are 3 in the bank) and the same one came back for me - phew! I figured he'd be on it. But he wasn't! So I went up to the 7th floor figuring he'd be there... but he wasn't! Now what do I do? Then I'm looking at all of the floors he could be on... the two levels of parking garage... oh my gosh, it was scary.
I decided the best thing to do was head to the lobby so I could enlist the help of the receptionist and other workers and perhaps find a way to call all the elevators back at once or have us all running up and down the staircases looking for him on each floor. Luckily, when I got there, Charlie was there too. What a relief!
Apparently someone had called the elevator from the 7th floor, the guy must have seen Charlie - imagine an elevator opening on your way into work and seeing this little two year old, wearing sunglasses and holding a train, all alone in your elevator... it makes me chuckle a little now - so Charlie must have gotten off and while the guy decided what to do with him, the elevator left to come get me so they got on another one and rode down to the lobby.
It was all probably over in one or two minutes, but it felt like forever. The funny thing is that it surely made an impression on Charlie since he still talks about it at least once every day... "Remember when I got stuck on the elevator? A man got in with me and I wanted my mommy." You can now imagine that I never let down my guard.
No comments:
Post a Comment