When we moved into our apartment in Abu Dhabi, I decided it was a good time to transition Charlie to a big boy bed. The first couple days went well, but he soon discovered he could get in and out as he pleased.
It took me a few tries to figure out how to respond, but decided the best way would be to just take him by the hand without a word or eye contact and lead him back to his bed every time he came out. Over the first several days, twice a day of course for nap and bedtime, I must have done that a couple hundred times. He thought it was such fun.
It was very tiring for this 7+ month pregnant lady so eventually I started holding onto the door handle so he couldn't open it. I just couldn't keep leading him back over and over for hours each day. The day before the elevator escapade, I heard through the door Charlie talking about locking the lock but he didn't do it. I made a mental note to check if my house key also opened the inside doors. The next morning I did just that and found it didn't work.
So, as you can guess, that afternoon while Charlie was supposed to be napping, he got up tried to lock the door. I heard him start to touch it and immediately opened the door and guided him back to bed. The next time he got out of bed he got to the door and turned the lock so fast I couldn't stop it. He was locked in. Ugh. I didn't know how long he would be in there before I got a key. I was unsure if Oxy had the keys or if the reception/maintenance for the building would. After trying to coax Charlie into unlocking it, I made a call and maintenance was able to come in and unlock it, thank goodness. Needless to say, I now I have keys to all the interior doors.
Almost two weeks later I still lock his door. Sometimes he unlocks it himself but luckily seems to forget that he knows how to do it. Finally in the last two days he seems to be trying to do it less. But he still will get out of his bed and cry at the door and often not nap. Oh well, life is full of transitions.
No comments:
Post a Comment