Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Manama Souq

A couple Saturdays ago we took a Saturday afternoon trip to the main Souk here in Manama. It was, for some reason, surprising to me that it was mostly locals with just a few Westerners/tourists. But it shouldn't have been surprising, this is the main place that (not as well-off) locals go to buy their goods. We didn't buy anything except a $2.50 toy that Davey saw - which was totally falling apart by the end of the day and had to be tossed in the trash. (You get what you pay for indeed.)

The Bab Al Bahrain, or Gateway of Bahrain, which used to lie on the oceanfront, though now its a little drive to the beach due to land reclamation projects. It is the entrance to the souq

Entering the Souq

Dave all dressed in the local thobe (robe-like garment), ghutra (scarf) and agal (cords holding scarf in place) . He just needs some Ray-Bans that he doesn't remove even indoors to be truly authentic. He attracted a lot of attention dressed like this; it was amusing to the locals (it was just for a minute though).

A mosque next to the Bab Al Bahrain. I just think they're pretty.

It was a beautiful day and we enjoyed getting another taste of the culture here.

2 comments:

Sweating in the endless heat said...

Dave looks SO tall in the get up:-) I totally miss chatting with you....I am SO glad though that you get to have this opportunity to be there. I think of you often:-)

Harmony said...

That's so cool with Dave all dressed up Bahrani. I think I wouldn't have the guts to actually go out in locals' clothing. Afraid the might beat me up or something.