Davey has always been a very healthy child and Charlie's medical history doesn't contain anything serious, so I know we are blessed. But it was still very strange to me when we were sent home from that check up about the cold with a prescription for amoxicillin and a non-specific diagnosis, but the antibiotic did seem to take care of whatever was bothering him.
The day before the well check-ups, Charlie woke up from a nap with some strange bumps on his face. They looked like a mosquito bite looks when you first get it: white, raised and irregular-shaped with red around it. But they were gone within the hour so I just forgot about it. The next morning, he had the same thing but on his thighs and covering a much larger area, also disappearing within an hour. Luckily we had an appointment already with the doctor that day, so when I asked her about it she said it sounded like hives, an allergic reaction to something. She thought it was strange the way it showed up when he slept but said just to watch it but not be too concerned unless it returned with regularity or more severely.
That afternoon we were at the park and it showed up again, only this time all over his body. When we got home and I went to give him a bath, it was gone from the skin that had been exposed, but was very severe under his diaper and part of his back. It looked like big red welts all over him. This picture is about 20 minutes later when it was much improved...

I contacted the doctor who recommended giving him children's Zyrtec, so that's what we did. I'm still wondering what it could be, since I haven't given it to him the last two days and we haven't seen it again. I'm thinking maybe Davey tracked something in his crib from outside (he loves to climb inside his crib and play with him) and then we encountered whatever it was at the park, too. I'm thinking of taking him to an allergist to see, since the last reaction was so bad it scared me.
As for the stats from the check-ups, they aren't very reliable. They told me Charlie was 19 lbs 14 oz but I don't think there's any way he's that heavy. The next day I compared him against my friend's boy who weighs just over 16 lbs and Charlie felt lighter. They also weighed Davey at 30 pounds, but the scale was already reading 3 lbs when he got on. When I weight him at home, it reads 28 (15%), so I'm going to go with that. As for height, Charlie is 28.25 (40%) in and Davey is 37.5 (40%).
And just for fun, some silly pictures of the boys...

2 comments:
Thanks for showing us all a picture of Charlie's tooshie! That's so weird about his rashes.. I hope he doesn't get them again. I love the picutres. The boys are so cute!!!
What is the weather like there? Is he getting a heat rash maybe? That's really odd and I would take him to the allergist if it were me, just because that way you know what to avoid.
Good luck!
Post a Comment