Last night Davey and I were lucky to be able to have dinner with my dad who was in town for a meeting (Dave is in CA). As Davey chatted and blabbed away, my dad commented on how Davey has always been doing that. We recalled a car trip to visit my brother, Colter, last year at this time when Ben (14 at the time) was driven by Davey's constant "Da, da, da, da, da, ..." to exclaim, "I'm going to lose my hearing!!" The 4 hour car trip from Detroit to Cincinnati was filled with nothing but the refrain (not even punctuated by a nap).
My interpretation of the crabbiness that enveloped the first 18 or so months of Davey's life is his incessant desire to express himself. The larger his vocabulary becomes, the happier his countenance becomes. Yesterday we were in the car for almost two hours (bad traffic and heavy rain) to meet for dinner and Davey was delightful all the way. He jabbered and we sang songs and laughed at being silly.
Sometimes, and not infrequently, I do get tired of the constant talking... "Davey wake up, Davey downstairs, Davey eat yogurt, ..." and so on. Each thing he does and sees is presented for my returned commentary. I have to acknowledge the things he says or they are repeated over and over. I have been known to, on occasion, turn the car radio up loud enough that I can't hear him.
But these days I'm mostly enjoying it. I feel blessed to have my life filled with such sweetness. Here are some of the things I don't want to forget:
- The way Davey runs around the house yelling, "Honey, slow down!!!" This started a few months ago when Davey heard me ask Dave to do just that in the car.
- The sound of Davey's, "We park. We park. We fit. We fit." as we pull into the garage or a parking space between two other cars. As he says, "We fit." he strains his voice as if we have to try really hard to make sure it happens.
- The happiness he projects onto the objects in his life, always going around saying, "Thomas (the Train) happy. James happy. Witchy-poo (the large cackling witch doll we had out for Halloween) happy." And whenever he laughs, he says, "Davey funny."
- The inflection in his voice as he proclaims, "Davey so handsome!" each time we comb his hair.
I guess feeling this contented with my life means that it is definitely time to move on to the next challenge. And just in time: only two more months until he arrives!
3 comments:
Kids are amazing. They say the funniest things that make you chuckle all the time.
I can just picture Davey doing ALL those cute little things and making you laugh. What a doll. I especially love the "Davey so funny" after he laughs. Oh, and the "Honey slow down." Priceless. I'm glad everything is so happy.
Jasmin,
You are such an awesome mom, just like I thouhgt you would be! It is amazing how our children will help us grow and see things in ways we never thought could possibly be. Loved the post!
Post a Comment