Saturday, November 20, 2010

Last Few Days Exploring Salalah

More of the town of Mirbat. Not nearly so remote as Rakhyut but still felt just as back in time. I think this town has looked the same way for hundreds, probably thousands, of years.

Mirbat

Harbor in Mirbat

On the way home we had some good fun enjoying the dunes along the beach...

Nice jump Dave!

I love this picture! My three men :)

Charlie trying to figure it out

Davey got the hang of it

It was such a fun day of exploring

I think the dunes are beautiful

On the way home from Mirbat, we stopped at Khor Rori and to see the ruins of Sumhuram. Sumhuram was an important port city along the Frankincense trading trail dating back to the 4th century B.C.

View from far

More up close

My cute boys exploring the ruins

These sites we saw were amazing... so old and, like the rest of the region, seemed so untouched and accessible. We found a piece of a pot...

The pot shard we found

Up close

The port of Khor Rori in the background
This is the place LDS scholars believe to be the place Nephi built his ship.

Better view

Looking up the inlet, next to the city

View a little further down

I also forgot to mention that our kids had some adopted cousins we met at the hotel. They were amazing at playing with them and keeping them entertained that I actually got to relax and enjoy the sunshine even when Dave was in the room with Charlie to give him a nap. We happened to be on the same flight as them back to Muscat when we left... here's a pic of them hanging at the airport...


We absolutely loved our trip to Salalah. It was the perfect combination of relaxation and adventure.

No comments: