Saturday, November 20, 2010

Eid in Oman - Rakhyut & Mirbat

If you look at the last picture in the previous/first post about or trip to Oman, you can see most of the town of Rakhyut. It is tiny. It looked like a town with a population of maybe 100 or so. But probably more with the size of Arabic families. There were perhaps two restaurants and a mosque or two. So remote and tiny but so beautiful.

When we arrived, I was super hungry and feeling faint (being pregnant). I had to take a chance on one of the restaurants and let Dave try to find me something. I had some chicken and was happy not to get sick. But I mostly stuck to the rice he got me. This town, like Salalah, was super-conservative Muslim from its appearance. I didn't see a single female. I can't imagine living such a life always in the home, no public life at all. Especially with the town being located on such a beautiful beach!

Needless to say, I decided not to shed my clothes and wear my bathing suit on the beach. But the boys had a lot of fun playing in the sand and running waist-deep into the water. The beach had a super low grade decline into the water so it would have been hard to get deeper. They loved it.

The beautiful beach at Rakhyut

Playing in the mud


So untouched


In addition to the camel problem, this area also had a cow problem. So many everywhere just roaming and not looking in good health...

No Mooo! heard here... I think they were too weak

I wish I could have gotten a picture of the actual checkpoint to get the feel of the remoteness of the location and intimidating feel.

I settled for a picture of the sign.
You can see that it is literally up in the clouds.

A view down the steep mountainside just past the checkpoint. Both sides were steep like this.

A view of the mountainous drive. It all felt so remote.

Another day we took a day trip up the coast the other direction to check out the town of Mirbat, a fishing village.

The town is on the far end of the curving coasline, top right of the picture.
Isn't the water beautiful?

The tomb of a local saint, Bin Ali, and neighboring graves.

Davey being silly enjoying the veiws up the coast.
Charlie was sleeping in the car.

Some of the town of Mirbat.

Davey was so interested to see a Dhow boat up close. There were some locals on board that seemed to be inviting them onboard but Dave decided not to go on...

Some beautiful doors we found exploring the back streets

Admiring the architecture

More beautiful doors

More of Mirbat in the next post...

No comments: