A couple weeks ago an Oxy representative drove me around to show me some useful places on the island and I was able to see a couple interesting places from a tourist perspective as well. It was nice to have the tour after I'd been here a little while so I can actually remember how to get back to the places she showed me rather than just being wide-eyed and confused. She also drove me by some restaurants she recommended, which I am grateful for because Dave and I now have a regular date night (I am loving it!).
Here are a couple pictures from my little tour.
Notice the windmill arms between the towers. They never turn and there is a tragic story that goes along with them... To celebrate the completion of one of the stages of construction on the WTC, the company had a dinner-cruise party and the boat sank killing 58 people. Since it was a party, it included many couples and left children orphaned. I've heard that all of the engineers who knew how to get the arms turning were killed, but it seems like perhaps them not turning would be in memorial of them that died. So sad.

I took this picture of the bridge before learning that under it is the site where the boat went down.

Nearby is this development that they call the "Floating City."
As it looks, it is Venice-style canals between the homes. Very pretty.
I find the mosques to be very attractive, especially since not too much here in the landscape is all that beautiful. A couple I've managed to get pictures of...
Davey loves the Blue Dome Mosque, as we call it.
Random Mosque
We feel quite fortunate that you can barely hear the call to prayer from our home. It is interesting, even fun, to hear - makes you remember that you live in the Middle East - but only for some, like us, because we've heard many stories of Westerners who are woken by it every morning around 5am. So glad we don't have that to deal with.

4 comments:
Nice pictures of the mosques!
I am so jealous that you guys have a "date night" too. What a privilleged life you lead! How will you ever return to the States?
Thanks for the tour! I am glad that you kept your promise and posted some stuff this week :) I love seeing it.
That is really sad about the world trade center! That building is extremely cool-looking. I could swear it looks like a building I saw in some action movie once... And that Floating City?? That's SO COOL! But I must admit, I think I'd be a little too freaked out to actually live there...
A regular date night? Does this mean that you found a good maid - or just a good babysitter?
Post a Comment