Yea! The kids and I made it to Michigan without too much trouble and headache. I was definitely nervous about traveling myself with the two of them.
Davey, being the good boy he is, was no trouble on the plane. It helped that I brought him a new backpack filled with a new train, new Thomas DVDs, and an almost endless supply of treats for him...
Davey, being the good boy he is, was no trouble on the plane. It helped that I brought him a new backpack filled with a new train, new Thomas DVDs, and an almost endless supply of treats for him...
I think he spent more time looking at the "train book"
(the catalog that comes with each train) than he did
playing with the train itself. Good marketing....
Charlie did pretty well. Even though I knew we'd only have two seats, I brought Charlie's car seat on, thinking that he'd sleep no problem once I fed him and the hum and rumble of the plane kicked in and that would be worth squishing with Davey into the other seat. He did, but only for 15 minutes. So the three of us had to squish into the two seats with a car seat that a tired Charlie definitely did not want to stay in. At least the flight was only 3 hours.
As it turns out, I should have spent my money on a kid's suitcase for Davey instead of the cute backpack...
He insisted on rolling our carry-on all the way from the gate to baggage claim. And it was a very long walk (we landed Concourse B). By the time we got to baggage claim, they were loading the remains as unclaimed. But he was proud of himself :) He even would walk next to me as I pushed the double stroller, with one hand on the bag and one hand on the stroller asking, "You need help, Mommy?"
So the beginning was pretty smooth, but the time since has been rough for Charlie. Because of Charlie's acid reflux, the pediatrician advised that I sleep him in a swing (not moving) to elevate him. Knowing he'd been sleeping only in the swing for a few months now and that he doesn't stay asleep in the car seat even, I was worried about how we'd fare once we got here. I borrowed a swing from a friend, but he wanted his same feel apparently.
The first night I tried to sleep him in a bouncy seat since it was shaped more like our swing at home, but it didn't work well. The next day my parents were willing to purchase a swing to keep here for their grandkids, but I decided that I should just use this opportunity to break him of the swing habit. He's over the reflux now (happily!) and getting too big for the swing anyway. But it has been very rough going. For the next two days and night he barely slept. He was an extremely tired and cranky child until he finally crashed and slept well Sunday night. Thank goodness. I am going to have to work at getting him to put himself to sleep (all over again) but at least as of this morning (Tuesday) he stayed alseep for a decent nap in the crib when I put him down already asleep.
I just need to remember - sacrifice now for benefits later...
2 comments:
FRAZZY! I love for your posts! But now I'll get to see you next week! I'm so excited!
I am worried how Eliza will handle the whole sleeping arrangement thing when we are traveling. It seems like that the older our kids get the easier it is for them to just sleep whenever and wherever. Good luck with the sleeping stuff.
Post a Comment