Sunday, March 13, 2011

Witness at the Scene

So I called my friend Monica to see if she wanted Dave to bring her kids home from school, too, since I wouldn't recommend her being on the roads to go get them. Yes, she did of course after hearing about what I encountered.

Dave picked them up just fine but as he drove from the school to the first roundabout just outside it, he sensed something was wrong. A car was up on the median and started squealing its tires like crazy to get moving all of a sudden, entered traffic the wrong way around the circle and crashed head-on into another car. It was so obviously an intentional crash that one of Monica's girls asked, "Did that guy mean to hit the other car?" Dave just said, "I don't know," and gunned it to get out of there as fast as he could, seeing other cars acting strange as well.

So he took the other way home that I hadn't gone to avoid that protest and got still more of an eyeful. Hundreds of men gathered together with clubs and stick in their hands looking like they were looking for a fight. It was such a relief to have the whole family home and safe. But the afternoon was filled with jitters about what we'd witnessed and what it could be meaning was happening out there.

Later that afternoon we got an email from the school explaining that they had gone into lockdown for ten minutes following that car accident, which they heard from the school, and then mostly because of the gunshots that were fired at the scene of the crash. So scary and I'm glad Davey was out of there before that! Imagine if they had accidentally hit the wrong car and it was Dave with a carload of kids! So scary!

No comments: