I have a life-long struggle with keeping a diary or journal, despite having a mother that has always emphasized its importance and set aside time every evening as we were growing up for us to write. She, of course began by writing for us, and the first while of entries on my own show decent effort. But it soon deteriorated into entries like this... (these are actual entries)
Agust 6 1986
Today I went to VBS
Agust 7 1986
Today i plad a game
Agust 8th 1986
Today I went the lake
Agust 9 1986
Today I'm Lidrirw (that's the best I can make out - no idea what it means)
Agust 8 1986
Today I got home from Lisa's.
Agust 9 1986
Today I got ice creame.
Then, I got smarter and started writing ahead so I could have some days off (my mom would do checks to make sure we had written)...
Sep 20 1986 Today I had a day
Sep 21 1986 Today I had a day
Sep 22 1986 Today I had a day
Sep 23 1986 Today I had a day
Sep 24 1986 Today I had a day
... etc ...
I can't believe to this day that I never got in trouble for that. (This post may prompt a phone call from my mom, however.)
My mom often tells me that all she wants for her birthday, Mother's Day, Christmas, etc. is for me to start writing in my journal. I try every now and then, but it never lasts. I have all kinds of excuses... my hand hurts after about a min of writing, I'm way too wordy so it takes me forever, I don't have anything interesting to say (though it's easier now that I can talk about Davey), etc.
In short, I've felt guilty for a long time that I don't record my family's history and maybe a blog will be easier since I'm on the computer a lot and typing is so much faster than writing. Also, I'm absolutely miserable at scrapbooking, or even printing out photos and sticking them in an album with no words. So the hope is that I can blog faithfully and then solve that problem as well by using one of those services that will print out and bind your entries in a book.
So, if a lot of my complaints about journaling stem from writing hurting my hand and taking forever, why haven't I just been typing my diary whether on a blog or not? I figure that something I write by hand won't get as easily lost as a file will saved on some old computer that I used to use years ago and never bothered printing out and filing or even transferring to my current hard drive (I have a lot of files and pictures like that).
Well, then, what do I have against blogging? Mostly, it worries me that it will actually make me feel less in touch with my family and friends than not blogging. You see, if I have a blog, why do you need to call me and see what's new when all you need to do is check my blog? Yes, you can leave a comment, but they are usually super-short and not as detailed as if I were to send you an email with that info and you would reply. I myself have wanted to call or email a friend that I hadn't been in touch with in a while and then not done it because they have a blog and I thought they'd think, 'why do I need to tell this all to you again? haven't you been reading my blog?' And I don't want that to happen in return to me. As much as I'm not that great at keeping in touch, I really value and treasure the conversations I have catching up with others. Email is okay, but I much prefer phone calls. As much as technology is making it easier to keep in touch in some ways, it hinders it as well. Guess there are two sides to every coin.
Well, I'll give blogging a try. But if you're reading this, please don't cut down on your calling or emailing!
3 comments:
Good news! I rarely email or call you... but I am REALLY good at checking blogs.
I was hesitant at blogging as well, but I feel like I know people so much better than before. This may not be the case for people you see and chat with regularly... but moreso for people like me to you. It's nice to know what I'm up to, but it's not necessary for you to know how I'm doing on a day to day basis.
In the future, my comments may be short... but they'll be a lot longer than nothing at all.
Hey! You've got a blog. Don't worry, Iwill always call because talking to a real person REALLY helps get through the day . . .and the laundry pile! ;)
I love that you are blogging-please don't stop. My girls love to see pictures of Davie. We miss you guys. Dave, it was so nice to see you-thanks for stopping by. It was almost like you guys still lived here (until he left of course!).
Post a Comment